Friday, February 6, 2009

Matthew 8

Hey guys,

I am writing a quick blog before our 1:30 worship time because I wanted to let you all know about some things happening in Zimbabwe, Africa.

Right now, as of January 31st, over 60,000 people living in Zimbabwe have died from a cholera epidemic that is all over Africa. As a result of the lack of fresh water, and broken, dilapitated sewer systems, there is no way to prevent the disease from spreading. Cholera symptoms include, extreme diarrhea, vomiting, extreme thirst, and leg cramps.
Health workers in Zimbabwe are exhausted and quickly running out of supplies. There are not enough workers, not enough space, and inadequate amounts of medicine.
What Zimbabwe needs right now is people to send money, and to go and help with relief.
I am asking you guys back home to prayerfully consider practical ways that you can raise money and awareness to help the suffering that is so prevelant in Zimbabwe.
What is upsetting about the spread of this disease, is that it is SO preventable and treatable!
Right now, prayer alone is not enough, as Christians, we are called to act. We need to be the answer to our own prayers, and we also need to be willing to be the change that we wholeheartedly long for.
Many people become ineffective for God because they cannot to everything, so they simply do nothing. Let us not be the generation of apathy and boredom. Let this be the generation that rises up and acts. Let us not be ineffective, but let us listen to God, and do what His will is for our lives!
Matthew 25:40-45 (New International Version)
40"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

3 comments:

  1. very well written my dear. Makes me cry. I am going to talk to Amber Batson about helping me do something at GCS. I heart you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi hali....thank you for this reminder for those of us who live here in the "land of plenty" my heart has been turned toward africa for a while now....i would like to send some money there...do you have the name of organanizations providing relief? I will also ask my partners at the LeZannes if they want to donate as well...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey I'm so sorry it has taken me so long to reply, our internet has been down!
    That is awesome that you are wanting to give! I am not sure of any orginaztions at the moment, but I can definitely check for you!

    ReplyDelete