Sunday, March 22, 2009

Paper Planes

Hey ya'll!

I'm sorry I have not written in awhile; things have been super busy here being that we are getting ready to go to Colombia in two weeks! We have been working on dramas, skits, songs to perform, and having a lot of prayer times to intercede for Colombia.
This week we had Colleen Milstein come and speak to us about our worldviews. At first, I was not looking forward to learning about worldview because I was certian that mine was as christian as it needed to be(Silly me :) ). However, I was greatly mistaken, Colleen brought out SO many amazing points and insight that I had never thought about. Colleen is from South Africa, and is currently living in Switzerland working with the YWAM base there. Her passion to see change in the world is truly inspiring. Here are a few quotes from Colleen:

"We Love Jesus sincerely, and we believe he is real, but we keep him in our pocket and do not know how to relate him to everyday life."

"Nowadays, Christians live in a christian "ghetto" and we have lost our relevence to society"

"We see Jesus as Lord of the church, but we don't see Jesus as Lord of ALL."

"In today's society, we have so many options of what we are to do with our lives that those options feed a fear of commitment."

"The question isn't "can I do it?", but "Am I willing to do it?"

"Any place in your worldview that you have not consiencely examined and changed to match a biblical worldview is probably conforming to the world's way of thinking." Ex. ROMANS 12:2

"How much of our christianity in the U.S. is merely a "culteral package" rather than a REAL realationship?"

"Geographic location is not the problem with Christianity, I can change geographic location and be no more of a light to non-believers than I was back where I first started."

I hope ya'll enjoyed these quotes. The quotes were just a tidbit of all that Colleen shared with us. We learned that so much of what we count as truth is simply what the world has been telling us is truth. I would like to challenge you all to go back to the Word, and really examine your beliefs on education, family, government, science and technology, and other world topics to make sure that they line up with what the Bible says.

As the time is drawing closer to Colombia, I have a rough itinerary of what we will be doing while in Colombia:

April 6th: Fly out to Houston Texas and from there we will fly out to Colombia (cheaper then flying straight out of Portland)

April 7th to May 10th: we will be at the YWAM base in Cartagena working and serving the base and city anyway that we can.

May 10th- through duration of our time in Colombia: Our group will again split and half will go to Bogota to work with slum ministries, and the other half will be going to Baranquilla (which is where I will be going) to live with families there and create a kid's camp.

* this schedule is subject to change due to change in God's desire for what we are to do while in Colombia, we are also looking at going to an island and doing some church planting, but we are still praying about that. We don't want to go so many places that we are not effective, but also we want to reach whoever God wants us to.

Thanks SO much everyone for your prayers and support, I am thrilled to pieces at how generous all of you have been! My trip is pretty much paid for, and that makes me so proud of that southern hospitality that I have bragged to everyone here about! I always talk about how loving and giving my church familiy is, and I pray for you guys a lot! I know God is doing amazing things back in Greenwood! I am so excited to come back home and see all of you!
Again, thanks again, and God bless!
-Hali

4 comments:

  1. holy cow - that sounds like an amazing trip Hali. I am praying for you, and will be checking in to hear how everything is going. Keep up the good work - just hearing about what you are doing inspires me to never cease sharing the gospel with those around me who are still lost in the darkness. I love it. It's so good to hear about what you are up to!!

    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I go with ya'll? I am so ready! Not sure Dad would be...for both of his girls to be gone. Thanks for this post. Our God is amazing!!! He has provided so much for you & in such a short time. I am grateful to all who have helped Hali & will continue to pray for her & the YWAM team.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Hali,
    Thanks for sharing all this with us!! It's very inspiring!! I'm sure you all are gonna have such an amazing experience and God will do incredible things through you and in your life as well. I do wish I was closer to you, so I could stop by for a visit!! I'll be praying for you!! Miss ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to come too! I am so excited for you and it will be here before you know it! Eric and I are praying for you and the YWAM team every week. We all miss you back at New Cov!

    ReplyDelete