Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Oregon:True Life

Hey Ya'll!
It is my second day here in Oregon, and I thought I would give everyone the run-down on what has been going on here!
Monday morning I took my flight from Charlotte at 6AM to the Atlanta airport. It was probably the shortest flight ever, and I arrived in Atl at around 6:45AM. I had no trouble at all finding my connecting flight because I only had to walk down the hall and I was at the gate that I needed. I got on that flight and had the pleasure of sitting by a Woman named Ginger who was a Christian! She prayed for me before we landed, and we had a really pleasent flight together. Although, we didn't realize until five hours into the seven hour flight that we could watch the movies on our individual screens for free (we thought you had to pay, and had been making fun of our seat partner for watching them and "paying" so much) I landed in Oregon tired, but excited to be on the ground. From there, I met two "YWAMER's" who helped me get my bags and drove me to the base. At this point in time everything was pretty much a blur (due to the constant tear flow, and jet lag). I met all the people who were extremely nice, but I was still really homesick. I ended up going to bed really early that night. I woke up at four in the morning freaking out and wanting to come home, but I texted my mom and she got me through it. The next morning I woke up still crying and I still wanted to come home. Fortunately, I went to the morning class (after devotions) and I got to hear everyone's stories of how they came to YWAM and what life was like before YWAM. It was SO encouraging. After that, I had class three more times, with work duty (in child care) and lunch and dinner in between. The most exciting thing I did today was going to downtown Salem and "street evangelizing". What I really liked about their type of "street evangelizing" is their focus on building relationships first, before overwhelming people with evangelizing to them. It was really interesting to just talk to people and see what their views were on different things.
Sorry this is so gramatically awful. I am in a hurry!
BUT I love all of you and miss you SO much!!!

5 comments:

  1. I am so happy about this blog! I just read it at 6:00 a.m. Thanks Hali for sharing! You encourage me. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you made it safe and just hang in there. Thanks for keeping us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your mom was just in the office and let me know about your new blog. I look forward to hearing more about your new adventure Hali! I loved living in the PNW (Pacific NorthWest) while we were there.
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! I have a really good feeling about this. Like I am jittery-excited because I know that this is going to be a huge turning point in your life, definitely a good one!
    Funny, last night I was thinking about the verse at the top of your blog!
    lol
    I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i cried as i read this...sadness at first of the apprehension, stress and distance. that was quickly replaced with tears of joy to hear about the Lord working so quickly - even turning you out on the streets!!! thank you for letting us go on this journey with you! we love you!! A&S

    ReplyDelete